Marita Redondo is an artist who combines art and photography very beautifully. In a post on her blog, she uploaded some book pages that were based on a trip to Africa she made. The pictures are great, they feature landscapes of Africa with animals such as lions, elephants, birds, gazelle and cheetahs.
Her book pages also feature pictures of local tribes people from the areas she visited. Some of the pages include a photo on one side of a page spread, with an artwork done on the other side, such as a sketch or painting. She also decided to superimpose writing on some of the pages as well.
Marita’s painting’s are incredible, and I am also a fan of her drawings. The way she decided to lay out the pages of her book was interesting as well. The background color in the pages makes the pictures in the foreground really pop.
The words on the pages look to a served as diary entries for Marita while she was visiting Africa. One of my favorite page spreads from her book is the one that has a painting of a lion on the left page, with sketches of more lions on the right. They are stunning pieces of art. Here are a few images from Marita Redondo’s book.
This is a stylistic word cloud made using the website Tagxedo.com . I used the most common words found on my blog to create a word cloud of my shark logo.
Last week in class we were visited by Ash Thorp, a graphic designer who graduated from Cal State San Marcos and has gone on to do some amazing work for the design company Prologue. He talked to us about what to expect after we graduate and how it is being an artist in the working world. Much of the stuff he talked about was very inspirational, but a lot of it was intimidating as well. We learned how it is very hard to be successful in the art world and there is plenty of competition.
Ash brought some examples of his work with him and I was immediately blown away. The photo manipulations and design concepts he showed us were incredible. Some of the projects he worked on while with prologue included, Thor, The Tourist, Iron Man 2, AT&T commercials, and numerous other big name companies and franchises. Ash said that many of his projects were turned down and not accepted by the people above him, and I was very surprised by this. His stuff was so good that it is crazy to believe that these people were looking for something better. He uses lots and lots of masking while he works on his images in photoshop. About 80% of his work is done in photoshop while the other 20% is done in programs like Illustrator.
Ash talked about how working at prologue became to much for him and he wanted to spend more time with his family. He recently decided to leave his position as a creative director at Prologue in Los Angeles and move back down to San Diego. After listening to his presentation I was very inspired and happy to learn more about the field I would would like to get into. The advice he gave us was to always do our best and keep going. I was glad that Ash came back to Cal State and hopefully one day I’ll have have a good enough reputation to be invited back as well. Here is a short documentary about Ash.<p><a href=”http://vimeo.com/16108771″>A LOOK INTO THE ART OF ASH THORP (DOCUMENTARY)</a> from <a href=”http://vimeo.com/user2095138″>Kimberly M</a> on <a href=”http://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>.</p>
Linda Zacks is a book artist who has influenced my Artist’s book project greatly this semester. Her main website has the words art and typography in the heading, two things that I are very interested in as anyone who has seen my blog can tell you. Her combination of different media just as pain and pictures is what really got me interested
The one particular thing about her books that inspired me was the layout of her book pages. In one of her books she puts photographs on a page and then paints over them, sometimes using words and stencils. I used this same kind of idea with my own book, but it is done all digitally on a computer using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. I used pictures I have taken and used vector paint splashes instead of real paint.
I am also a big fan of her typography work as well. I recently became interested in typography last year after one of my graphic design classes introduced it to me. On typography picture she has is for the Newport Film Festival and it looks like it is done with long exposure photography. It is really amazing too look at. Here are a few examples of her work…
Here is an updated version of the Making Connections assignment. I decided to do a list of the top things I’ve wanted for Christmas every year since 1992 when I was 5 years old. Each Christmas Ornament represents a year range.