Cal State San Marcos

Posts tagged “Ash Thorp

Ash Thorp

Last week in class we were visited by Ash Thorp, a graphic designer who graduated from Cal State San Marcos and has gone on to do some amazing work for the design company Prologue.  He talked to us about what to expect after we graduate and how it is being an artist in the working world.  Much of the stuff he talked about was very inspirational, but a lot of it was intimidating as well. We learned how it is very hard to be successful in the art world and there is plenty of competition.

Ash brought some examples of his work with him and I was immediately blown away.  The photo manipulations and design concepts he showed us were incredible.  Some of the projects he worked on while with prologue included, Thor, The Tourist, Iron Man 2, AT&T commercials, and numerous other big name companies and franchises.  Ash said that many of his projects were turned down and not accepted by the people above him, and I was very surprised by this.  His stuff was so good that it is crazy to believe that these people were looking for something better.  He uses lots and lots of masking while he works on his images in photoshop.  About 80% of his work is done in photoshop while the other 20% is done in programs like Illustrator.

Ash talked about how working at prologue became to much for him and he wanted to spend more time with his family.  He recently decided to leave his position as a creative director at Prologue in Los Angeles and move back down to San Diego. After listening to his presentation I was very inspired and happy to learn more about the field I would would like to get into.  The advice he gave us was to always do our best and keep going.  I was glad that Ash came back to Cal State and hopefully one day I’ll have have a good enough reputation to be invited back as well. Here is a short documentary about Ash.

<p><a href=”″>A LOOK INTO THE ART OF ASH THORP (DOCUMENTARY)</a> from <a href=”″>Kimberly M</a> on <a href=””>Vimeo</a&gt;.</p>